Friday, August 10, 2018

Enough with the W omen & household

Recently I came across this comic. And I started to think, why are such comics made? So many articles written? So many debates happen? Because it's a concern that needs to be addressed. Because it needs to change. And because literature brings about change in the society. Awareness brings change. Social media acts as a catalyst to changing thoughts. And it is working. Females have started questioning distribution of responsibilities in the house, equal pay-cheques at work, taking care of kids/pets, and so much more. But there is a problem. 

It's just the women (not all) who are pro gender equality. Very few men support this thought. It's not difficult to guess why. Gender equality favours women. Men only have disadvantages from it. Be it extra work at home or distribution of power at work or a wife/girlfriend who is not financially or emotionally dependent on her husband. It only threatens the power a man holds over women. So very naturally, most men do not like this 'new age concept'. These disagreements between thoughts bring differences in modern day relationships. While women are seeking equality, men are trying hard to maintain their stature. Arguments like 'I can't cook everyday after work, I'm as tired as you are!' 'I don't know how to cook. I was never taught a women's work.' 'Why can't you wash the clothes sometimes? I don't enjoy doing it either.' 'I'll mix the colours & screw up. I have never done it.' 'Why can't you make the bed even when I get up before you?' 'I will get late for work. I don't like doing it.' are common in most houses. No wonder so many marriages are falling apart, not just in west but also in our country. 

Makes me wonder, are the sacrifices women make, worth it? Is everything a girl is letting go of by accepting small things, not adding to the reason we are not seeing radical changes in the way they are treated?


Change is never easy. But if it's important it needs to be done. And its high time we understand the importance of this one. Small steps matter like drops in the ocean. Let's keep adding one drop at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enough with the W omen & household

Recently I came across this comic . And   I started to think, w hy are such comics made? So many articles written? So many debates happen?...